What is STAR?
STAR is the New York State Tax Relief program that provides an exemption on a portion of school property taxes for owner-occupied, primary residences. There are two types of STAR exemptions: Basic and Enhanced.
Basic STAR is available to all income-eligible, owner-occupied primary residences (one per married couple). For the 2015 Assessment Roll: Income eligibility is $500,000 (Adjusted Gross Income less Taxable IRA Distributions) based on 2013 income. You must attach proof of your residency at the address for which you are applying. Proof of residency may include your driver's license, utility bill, voter registration, etc.
Once approved, Basic STAR remains with your property until you move, sell the property, or exceed the income ceiling of $500,000, as determined by the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.
When the owner(s) turn 65, a new application for the Enhanced STAR (below) must be filed by March 1 of the calendar year of your 65th birthday in order to qualify for the exemption that year.
Enhanced STAR is the same as the Basic STAR except that extra discounts are available to seniors. For the 2015 Assessment Roll, you must:
1. be 65 or older by December 31st, 2015 (all owners must be 65 except in the cases of spouse or siblings).
2. meet the income eligibility requirement
- maximum 2013 combined income of all owners, and any spouse that resides on the premises, is $83,300
- STAR income is Adjusted Gross Income less Taxable IRA Distributions
3. apply before March 1, 2015 to the Town of Ogden Assessor's Office
- provide a completed form RP-425
- proof of age and residency (driver's license)
- provide 2013 income tax return
This exemption must be renewed annually. There are two methods to renew:
1. Traditional: a renewal form will be mailed to you by the Assessor's Office (late October) and you must submit the application and income documentation to the Assessor's Office by March 1st.
2. The Income Verification Program: If you file an income tax return with New York State every year you may participate in the Income Verification Program (IVP) in which New York State Department of Taxation and Finance would verify your income for STAR purposes.
Third Party Notification is available (follow the link to the form below for more details)
Application for Basic STAR and first-time Enhanced STAR application: RP-425
Enhanced STAR Income Verification Program (IVP): RP-425-IVP
For more information on the STAR program: STAR Brochure
Third Party Notification: RP-425-TPN
Basic STAR Exemption Registration:
Recent state legislation required all homeowners receiving a Basic STAR exemption to register with the New York State Department of Tax and Finance to continue receiving the exemption. This year the law applies only to owners of recently purchased homes. The New York State Department of Tax and Finance will be mailing registration instructions. New homeowners may call (518) 457-2036 with any questions or for assistance with registration, or visit the department's website at www.tax.ny.gov.
PLEASE NOTE: The Basic STAR Registration Program is not applicable, nor does it affect, seniors currently receiving the Enhanced STAR exemption. Seniors currently receiving the Enhanced STAR exemption must continue to renew their exemptions, as usual.
(Back to Property Tax Exemption page)