The Town of Ogden offers many attractions that interest a very diverse audience. Come see what the Ogden community has to offer...
Adam's Basin Inn- nestled next to the historic towpath of the Erie Canal, Adams Basin Inn is a delight to lovers of antiques, exceptional food and relaxation. The Inn contains the only intact historic tavern room on the Erie Canal. Conveniently located only 15 minutes from the Rochester Airport, 40 minutes from a selection of Finger Lakes wineries, 10 miles from Lake Ontario, and 15 minutes from Rochester, New York.
Golf Courses - Ogden is home to several fine golf courses, most of which are within a few minutes of the Erie Canal near Route 531. Including Arrowhead Country Club, Buttonwood Country Club, Pinewood Country Club, and Salmon Creek Country Club,
Heritage Farms - Ogden has a rich history of farming, and is home to one of the oldest family farms in New York State. Colby Homestead Farms has been operated by the Colby family for more than 200 years and is still producing significant crops. Several farm markets, including Whittier Fruit Farm and Robb's Fruit Farm, operate during the year and sell fresh, seasonal produce such as cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon, musk melon, pumpkins, apples, peaches, pears and cherries.
Historic Downtown Spencerport - The Village of Spencerport grew up around the Erie Canal in the early 19th century, and today is important part of the town. Many of the buildings flanking Union Street in the Village date to the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Historic Lift Bridges - Ogden is home to several lift bridges that span the Erie Canal. These bridges were built during the reconstruction of the Erie Canal in the early 1900s. Boaters on the canal will be familiar with these old style bridges since they have to call ahead and ask for the bridge to be lifted in order for their boat to pass beneath.
Historical Churches & Houses - The Town and Village are filled with lovely, well-maintained homes featuring Queen Anne and Georgian architectural elements, lush lawns, gardens and spacious front porches. Sprinkled throughout the town are farmhouses, barns and carriage houses, some dating to the early 19th century. In addition to private homes, there are several historically significant churches in the town, many of them dating to the mid 19th century.
Northampton Park is a 973 acre park which straddles the Sweden-Ogden town line. The park features a downhill ski slope and rope tow, a model airplane field, hiking trails and Salmon Creek, a popular source for trout fishing. The park is open daily from 6:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. The shelters and lodges are reserved by calling 585-256-4951 and are available from 10:00 a.m. to 10:45 p.m. daily. The park is carry-in carry-out, and visitors are asked to take all garbage with with them when they leave. Keg beer is permitted if stamped on your rental permit. Recreation fields are available on a first come, first served basis, if the fields are not in league use. Pets must be leashed and bicycles are not allowed on trails.
Located within Northampton Park is Springdale Farm, a working farm owned by Heritage Christian Homes and operated by developmentally challenged adults. Springdale staff offer tours and many special events such as a sheep-shearing event in the Spring, and a giant corn maze in late summer and early fall. Springdale is also home to the Riedman Robotic Milking Center.
Pineway Ponds Park is a 72.5 acre park located 1/4 mile north of the Village of Spencerport on Route 259 (Union Street). The park features three enclosed lodges and one shelter, plenty of open space for sports, walking, hiking, playing, and fishing. Lodges may be reserved through Ogden Parks and Recreation.
Colby Pulver House Museum - Located in Northampton Park, the Colby Pulver House Museum is the headquarters for the Ogden Historical Society. Call 585-352-1586 for more information.
Spencerport Trolley Depot was used between 1908 - 1931.
After that time it was purchased, moved from the Village and used as a family residence. In 2003, the building was donated to the Village of Spencerport with the condition that it be restored and used as a community center or museum. The building is open as visitor's center, library branch and museum.
The Erie Canal was once Spencerport's "Main Street." Footsore mule drivers liked Spencerport because it was a perfect spot to change mules for the last 12-mile pull to Rochester. The Village has installed a dock near the canal bridge; pump holding tanks for boats; and 40 feet of boardwalk linked to a gazebo and entertainment area. The Village also built a handicapped-accessible fishing pier and improved its hiking trail. Spencerport celebrates Canal Days on the last weekend in July with an arts and crafts show, a classic car show, and live entertainment & fireworks.
Trails - There are formal and informal trails for hiking, biking and snowmobiling located throughout the Town, including a GTC Trail, Canal Trail (6.1 miles), Railroad Trail.